Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 1997 11:24:55 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Zoltan Sebestyen <sebesty@cs.elte.hu>
To:        Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XDM again

On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, Bill Paul wrote:

> Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Lutz Albers had
> to walk into mine and say: >
>
> > Zoltan Sebestyen wrote on 17.09.1997
> >   XDM again
> >

> Bzzzzt! I'm sorry that's incorrect, but that's for playing.
>
> getnetname() is a Secure RPC function. Only FreeBSD-current has
> Secure RPC support. (Adding it required fairly big changes, which
> is why it's not in 2.2.5.) If you have a FreeBSD-current system,
> getnetname() is prototyped in /usr/include/rpc/auth.h.
>
> XDM can use Secure RPC for authentication but this fearture is normally
> disabled in the stock X11 distribution as it entails the use of
> some DES encryption routines.
>
> -Bill
You are right! I've downloaded the original XDM source and found that it
compiles without secure rpc. The main problem was that while XDM uses
Imakefile this XDM hack for the KDE desktop doesn't and it thinks that if
<rpc/rpc.h> exists then secure rpc is available.

Sebestyen Zoltan			It all seems so stupid,
					it makes me want to give up.
szoli@caesar.elte.hu			But why should I give up,
					when it all seems so stupid?