Date:      Fri, 08 Nov 1996 08:49:43 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        dubois@primate.wisc.edu (Paul DuBois)
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: The curtain is going down on 2.1-stable in 5 days!

> I would expect that "for commericial use" means suitable for people to
> *use*, not hack on.  That means when someone buys a CD-ROM set and then

You haven't followed this to its logical conclusion, however, and one
which the evidence we've gathered so far strongly supports: If you're
truly *commercial*, you'll buy whatever you need to buy in order to
make it work and achieve your end-goal (which is not fiddling with
FreeBSD hardware).  If you were smart enough to order your machine
*after* consulting our supported hardware list and/or reading the
recommendations I have up at http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/hw.html,
it's not even any extra work.  If you order your entire PC from an
established BSD PC vendor like Rod Grimes, Apache Digital, or Telsys,
it's less work still - the thing comes preloaded and ready to go.

In all cases, if you're commercial then you don't spend a week jumping
up and down in the mailing lists about, say, IDE CDROMs, you go "oh, I
should have gotten a SCSI one?  Bummer.  OK, back in an hour - I'm off
to the store again!"

In fact, it's almost become something of a problem because dealing
with buggy hardware reports can be a real chore when all you're able
to note on the follow-up contact is "customer has already replaced
hardware and moved on."

In any case, people have gotten used to the fact that a lot of PC
hardware out there is crap, and buying a machine to fit known
specifications is only common sense in the PC market if you're
actually trying to use it for serious work.

Nonetheless, taking on another of your points:

> find his drive, it's not legitimate for the developers to respond (as
> they frequently do):
>
> 1) "Oh yeah!?!  Why don't YOU fix the driver, then!"
> or
> 2) "Get a SCSI CD drive."

Both can actually be perfectly legitimate responses, depending on the
situation.

1. If you've got a burning need to have something work (be you a
   corporation or a private user) and there's nobody able to currently
   devote a week to jamming away on the problem for you, then yeah, you
   kinda have to do it yourself.  Many of our best developers and code
   came from people in the throes of just such motivated self- interest.
   Simply crying about it certainly won't fix it, and there are only so
   many developer hours in the day (and lots of other tasks that someone
   *else* is clamoring for them to finish).  This is an answer you should
   get used to until some kind foundation decides to throw a few $mil at
   me so that i can hire and house some full-time, accountable, engineering
   talent.

2. If you're a corporation, this is good advice.  Buying a new
   SCSI drive will cost you $200-$300, plus an hour of someone's
   time to go pick it up if you don't order it over the phone.
   Say $400 total.  Having a developer struggle for just one
   day with an IDE CDROM will easily cost you twice this much
   in lost productivity - it's just not worth it.

   If you're a user, this advice is somewhat less easy to take
   and maybe you don't want to hear it, in which case at worst
   you're a little annoyed.  On the otherhand, perhaps you were
   already 90% decided to get a SCSI drive now that the
   NEC 8X SCSI drives have dropped down below $200, and our
   recommendation has simply sealed your decision.  You get a drive
   that Just Works, life is good, the suggestion was actually
   positive.

> Note that I'm not complaining here (even though I have an IDE CD that
> the install has problems with).  I'm simply commenting on what seems to
> be a contradictory goals: developer's paradise vs. user's system.  I
> hope the point is clear enough and that no flame war will ensue.

There are no contradictory goals, simply less emphasis on setting
impractical ones for the sake of setting them.  We're a volunteer
organization and things get done as people find the time and energy to
do them, period.  I could write down "IDE CDROMS real problem.  Big
problem.  Get someone on this immediately!!!" in my TODO list 20 times
and it wouldn't necessarily achieve anything except to use up some
more bytes on my disk.  I'm already doing all I can do to solve the
IDE CDROM problem (along with many others), and the solution will take
as long as it takes.

						Jordan