Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 2000 21:35:30 +0100
From:      Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de>
To:        Martin Von_Schantz <ikaros_net@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ed0: timeout

Hi Martin,

> Hi, I get a message that says ed0:device timeout I'm getting rather sick of
> this error message now.

Iīve read this error message in two circumstances:
1) IRQ conflicts with your card using the ed driver
2) Cable not plugged into your NIC (a driver problem)

> I have had it before but then I managed to get rid of it by changing the
> irq's of my ethernet devices in a file I think was in /boot.

Youīre probabaly speaking of /boot/kernel.conf . There you can overrule ISA
settings made in your kernel config.

> Only problem is that this file doesn't seem to be there anymore since I
> reinstalled fbsd. (correct me if I'm wrong :) )

Itīs generated during install, if you modify the drivers in the first boot
stage. But you can always create this by hand. To find out the necessary
commands, boot into console mode (hit any key during the ten second countdown on
boot time, then enter boot -c). Type help to see the possible commands, ls to
view your current configuration. All the commands you need there can be written
in /boot/kernel.conf to avoid typing them with each boot. Donīt forget the final
"q" (for quitting).
Once known you can of course put the correct settings in the file describing
your kernel compile options (usually in
/usr/src/sys/i386/conf/YOUR_KERNEL_NAME). Then you can delete the commands in
your /boot/kernel.conf .

> Just after the network device is switched on it says: "isa_compat: didn't
> get ports for lnc" and then it says the above...

Donīt know about this one. Grep the sources to find the location for this error
message.

> I have disabled my motherboard ethernet card but the error remains, which I
> find a bit strange.
> If it was an irq meltdown, wouldn't the other ethernet work once I disabled
> the other?

So you have two NICs? One onboard, one as separate card and neither of them is
working?
I think it is time then to show us your dmesg, to make things clear.
IRQ conflicts should only affect the parts accidentally sharing an IRQ.

Ciao
Siegbert