Date:      Fri, 11 Sep 2015 14:42:42 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        reg@dwf.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems setting up printer.

On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 21:49:41 -0600, reg@dwf.com wrote:

> I've read and reread the printers section of the
> Handbook, but haven't been able to put together
> a printcap that will print.
>
> I have a Postscript HPLJ4100.
> It exists with that name in the dns.

I have the HP Laerjet 4000 DN, so we should speak the same
language. :-)

> Here is my attempt at a FreeBSD printcap:
>
> lp:\
>         :/lp:=9100@HPLJ4100:\
>         :sh:\
>         :mx#0:\
>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
>         :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
>         :if=/usr/local/libexec/enscript:

My entry in /etc/printcap looks like this (the name of the printer
is "Laserjet", but I have manually added its static IP because of
lazyness):

Laserjet|ljet4d;r=600x600;q=high;c=full;p=a4;m=auto:\
    :rm=192.168.100.100:\
    :rp=raw:\
    :lp=:\
    :if=/opt/libexec/ps2pcl-dup.sh:\
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/Laserjet:\
    :lf=/var/spool/lpd/Laserjet/log:\
    :af=/var/spool/lpd/Laserjet/acct:\
    :mx#0:\
    :sh:

> Since I will be ONLY passing it Postscript, it would
> seem that the last line probably shouldn't be there,
> but this was the last of a number of attempts.

Correct. You don't need a printer filter if you're using
PS, because that's what the printing programs do output,
and at the same time what the printer will happily input.
The printer also should recognize it automatically.

As you can see from my example, I'm using PCL (because
it's faster than PS from my experience with this printer).

Make sure the mentioned spool directories do exist and
belong to root:daemon.

> Could someone tell me just WHAT I should be saying?

You're missing rm= I think, which is essential. You should
also have a look at "man 5 printcap" for a description of
the fields. Also remember to use cap_mkdb.

Compare and complete. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany