Date:      Fri, 23 Apr 1999 10:24:21 -0400
From:      Mark Conway Wirt <mark@intrepid.net>
To:        Nicole Harrington <nicole@nmhtech.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: web servers and canonotical domains

On Thu, Apr 22, 1999 at 10:31:42PM -0700, Nicole Harrington wrote:

>  OK, I may be asking a boneheaded question, but here goes.
>
>  I have a mailserver and a web server for a domain. www.domain.com goes to the
> web server. Domain.com and the MX record point to the mail server. Well, now the
> execs want http://domain.com to go to the web server.
>
> 1) What is the best way to do this?

The easiest way is to have domain.com's address be the ip of the domain
server, make www.domain.com a CNAME to domain.com, and if you're
running sendmail on the web machine, *lie* in DNS and do the reverse
to the web server's IP address to www.domain.com, instead of domain.com.
This is important because sendmail < 8.9 will answer mail on all of it's
IP addresses as reported by DNS whether or not they are in sendmail.cw.
8.9+ has a feature to turn this off.

> 3) If I just take domain.com and make IN A X.X.X.X of the web server, it seems
> many stupid mailers out there don't pay alot of attention to the MX record and
> report no mailer daemon and bounce.

Really?  I used to see that alot, but don't too much anymore.
However, if you *are* running sendmail on the box, you should allow
relaying of the domain on the box, and provided that you've lied in
reverse DNS, it'll relay the mail appropriately...

--Mark