Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2000 22:35:46 +0200
From:      Khamba Staring <purrcat@edoropolis.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE, XFree 4.0.1, AGP and Matrox G400

Hi,

I recently bought a Matrox G400 AGP graphics card hoping to get
some real OpenGL performance out of my computer.. Unfortunately,
the XFree DRI driver doesn't seem to recognize the loaded agp
kernel module and/or the Matrox card..

When I try to run a random OpenGL program, I get the following
error: `libGL error: XF86DRIQueryDirectRenderingCapable returned false'.
(Of course, I set the LIBGL_DEBUG environment variable to `verbose'.)

I changed the /boot/loader.rc in order to load the agp kernel
module at startup; my AGP bridge seems to be recognize without any
problem:

-- (output dmesg)
pcib0: <AcerLabs M1541 (Aladdin-V) PCI host bridge> on motherboard
pci0: <PCI bus> on pcib0
agp0: <Ali M1541 host to AGP bridge> mem 0xe0000000-0xe3ffffff at device 0.0 on
pci0
pcib1: <AcerLabs M5243 PCI-PCI bridge> at device 1.0 on pci0
pci1: <PCI bus> on pcib1
pci1: <Matrox MGA G400 AGP graphics accelerator> at 0.0 irq 11
-- (end output)

However, as you can see, the kernel still detects the Matrox card being
a pci device.. As far as I know this is not a problem as AGP lives
on top of pci (am I wrong here?).

I set up my XF86Config to both use the glx and dri module as described
on the xfree86 site:

-- (from the /etc/X11/XF86Config file)
Section "Module"

[... cut a bit of config file...]

# This loads the GLX module
    Load       "glx"
    Load       "dri"

EndSection

Section "DRI"
    Mode 0666
EndSection
--

I also set the color depth to 16 bits/pixel:

-- (from xwininfo)
  Width: 1280
  Height: 1024
  Depth: 16
  Visual Class: TrueColor
-- (end xwininfo)

.. And checked if the DRI stuff was loaded:

-- (from xdpyinfo)
vendor string:    The XFree86 Project, Inc
vendor release number:    4001
[...]
    GLX
[...]
    SGI-GLX
[...]
    XFree86-DRI
-- (end xdpyinfo)

Also, the /var/log/XFree86.0.log revealed no configuration error if it
would indeed exist..

I'm really puzzled by this problem. I've read the freebsd-questions posts
several time and couldn't find a solution. Loading the agp kernel module
by hand (kldload /modules/agp.ko) didn't make a difference and shouldn't
from my point of view.. kldstat reveals the agp module is indeed loaded:

-- (complete output of kldstat)
Id Refs Address    Size     Name
 1    3 0xc0100000 1e04b0   kernel
 2    1 0xc02e1000 9c3c     agp.ko
 3    1 0xc0935000 10000    linux.ko
-- (end kldstat

Does anyone have a clue as to what the problem might be..?
If it is of any interest: I'm using an Asus P5A-B motherboard..

Kind regards,

-- Khamba Staring

ps: I'm not subscribed to this mailing list.. Could you be so kind as cc me
    in any reply? Thank!