Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 1999 03:17:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Rahul Dhesi <dhesi@rahul.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to rewrite the data field replaceable unit?

> How is this not understandable?  It presents the problem, "Unrecovered
> read error," and even is nice enough to suggest a solution, "recommend
> rewrite the data."  How would you rewrite this to be more
> "understandable", yet still provide the same amount of information?

The message was:

(da2:ahc0:0:2:0) Unrecovered read error - recommend rewrite the data field
replaceable unit: 20 sks:80,a0

He's referring to the punctuation, which I agree with -- it could be
misunderstood quite easily -- the message could be "recommend rewrite the
data field replaceable unit", and the argument could be "20 sks:80,a0".
Hence his question: "How do you rewrite the data field replacable unit?"
"Data field" isn't that uncommon of an expression in computer terms... :)

I do know what those messages mean, and the first time I ran into them a
quick grep through the source revealed that it was two different messages,
but a comma would be useful in there:

(da2:ahc0:0:2:0) Unrecovered read error - recommend rewrite the data,
field replaceable unit: 20 sks:80,a0

--mike