Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 10:35:22 -0700
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Windriver, Slackware and FreeBSD

John Baldwin wrote:

> > Windriver's actions had nothing at all to do with licensing, but a lot
> > to do with casting fear, uncertaintly and doubt upon their Linux
> > competitors.
>
> No, that is incorrect.  WindRiver (not WinDriver or Windriver </rant>) does plan
> on using at least some FreeBSD technologies in some shape or another.

But they do not need to buy BSDi in order to use FreeBSD. From my layman
reading of the BSD license, you are not required to buy any company in
order to use, distribute, modify or profit from FreeBSD. On the other
hand, buying BSDi gives you rights to BSD/OS, which is not under the BSD
license.

WindRiver spent a lot of words talking about why the BSD license allows
them to use FreeBSD, but extremely few words on what that had to do with
them buying BSDi.

David