Date:      Sat, 24 Aug 1996 20:32:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@freenet.hamilton.on.ca>
To:        Chris Mcmurray <cmcmurra@flemingc.on.ca>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and 286

On Sat, 24 Aug 1996, Chris Mcmurray wrote:

> I know it sounds silly, but i have an old 286 I was given and I want to
> run un*x on it. WHERE can I find a downloadable copy that I can run on
> it? I know there must still be something around somewhere!

You can try Minix 1.7.0, from somewhere on ftp.cs.vu.nl.

Honestly, though, your best option is probably (nay, likely) to simply
pick up a null modem cable, through DOS 5 and the DOS version of Kermit
onto the computer and simply use the thing as a dumb terminal to your
real computer (which is, of course) running FreeBSD.

Setting it up as a dumb terminal is not really that much more complicated
than stated above.  Just make sure you check the number of pins either
end of the cable will need (either nine, or some other number I can't
remember).  The handbook talks a little about it, too.

FreeBSD will not run on a 286.

--
Outnumbered?  Maybe.  Outspoken?  Never!
tIM...HOEk