Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2000 13:00:59 -0600 (CST)
From:      lgfausak@august.net (Greg Fausak)
To:        insane@lunatic.oneinsane.net
Cc:        et-users@etinc.com, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [et-users] Spontaneous Reboot

>I have a FreeBSD 4.1.1-STABLE box as of Oct 10 cvsup. It has an Emerging
>technologies 8bit card. It serves as my Router/Firewall for my network
>on a 56K Frame-Relay (a /28 network). The local nic is a intel card (fxp)
>
>Here are some snippits from the dmesg:
>
>ET/5025(-16,PQ),ET/HSSI HDLC Driver v3.16j
>eth0 at port 0x240-0x24f iomem 0xd0000 irq 5 on isa0
>eth0: driver is using old-style compatability shims
>IP Filter: v3.4.8 initialized.  Default = pass all, Logging = enabled
>
>Everytime someone tries to do a heavy donload (installing gimp) roughly
>agter 10 minutes it casuses the box to reboot.
>
>Anyone have any ideas?
>
>This email has been CC'd to the etinc mailing list as well

I had a similar problem with a etinc.com board.  We currently have
6 T1 lines with 600+ frame DSL customers running on freebsd with
two 4 port etinc cards.  We experiences reboots, sometimes after an
hour, sometimes a few days.  It was due to exhaustion of mbuf
resources.  Try entering the command:

netstat -m

and you will see something like:
389/2080/65536 mbufs in use (current/peak/max):
        385 mbufs allocated to data
	4 mbufs allocated to packet headers
319/1946/16384 mbuf clusters in use (current/peak/max)
4412 Kbytes allocated to network (16% in use)
0 requests for memory denied
0 requests for memory delayed
0 calls to protocol drain routines

If your mbuf clusters exceed the maximum available then the
machine reboots!  I fixed the problem by adding the line:

options NMBCLUSTERS=16384

into the conf file and then rebuilt/installed the kernel.

We haven't had a problem since increasing the default NMBCLUSTERS
value, on our machine it was 1024.

---greg
Greg Fausak
August.Net Services, LLC