Date:      Thu, 03 Jun 1999 17:31:07 +0200
From:      Erik de Zeeuw <erik@univ-lehavre.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bridging : "collision at xxx" exact meaning ?

Hi again to freebsd-questions,

This is, I hope, my last message about bridging with FreeBSD :)

I just compile a new kernel, using 3.2-RELEASE downloaded from
sunsite.org.uk,
with BRIDGE & DUMMYNET & IPFIREWALL enabled, default rule to accept.

The machine has two Intel Pro 10/100 adapters, using driver fxp
(fxp0,fxp1).

The bridge seems to work fine now. Everything's ok, except for the HUGE
number
of messages I have on console.

These are : collision at xxx

where "xxx" is a number, 99% of the time simply 0.

I looked around at the code, and these are coming from bridge.c. After
studying the
code, it turns out to me that the bridge get a packet for wich it stored
an ethernet
adress, but the ethernet adress in the packet is different from the one
stored.

As I'm not a code guru, that's what I understand.

May be some of you truely understand what is going on, and could just
give me a
note about it.

My main concern is if these messages are really important, ie the
packets that
caused the collision is dropped, and thus may cause connection problems
through
the bridge; or if this is a side effect, due to a high load or whatever.

The network I'm on is pretty loaded, and not well organized, but I feel
like I
should ask here what is exactly going on, if someone knows and is kind
enough to
explain that to me.

Anyway, I wish to thank all the peoples who helped me setting up that
damn'bridge
stuff :) And I also wish to thank every people that makes FreeBSD and
keep this
mailing list alive.

Thanks :)

Erik de Zeeuw,