Date:      Tue, 30 Sep 1997 16:58:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      William Bulley <web@merit.edu>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   old versus new IBM PC keyboards

Please bear with me on this one:   :-)

I have several perfectly functional original IBM PC keyboards
which are pre-AT (even pre-XT for that matter) which I would
dearly like to use with some modern PC clone motherboards.

I have had people tell me to buy a new keyboard.  I have read
in the various PC hardware FAQs that the interface is different.
I really hate to buy new (el cheapo) keyboards when I know these
older stalwarts work just fine (with their older style computers).

Has anyone ever faced this issue?  It seems like a terrible waste
to throw away perfectly useable hardware.  Besides, I really, really
like the touch and feel of these older keyboards.  There were built
extremely well.  :-)

Since they (directly) plug into the large five pin DIN connectors
which come standard on many (all?) PC clone motherboards, it is
very tempting to try one of these with one of those motherboards.
But I know it is doomed to failure...  :-(

Does any BIOS vendor support this old style keyboard or is it baked
into firmware (or gate array logic) on the various support chip sets?

Any ideas at all, besides: 1) toss the keyboard, 2) write your own
BIOS keyboard support?  Thanks.

Regards,

web...

--
William Bulley, N8NXN              Senior Systems Research Programmer
Merit Network, Inc.                Email: web@merit.edu

[ What's all this fuss over the end of the century and mission critial ]
[ programs failing due to dates?  If people simply started using Roman ]
[ Numerials, the problem goes away!  MCM = 1900  MIM = 1999  MM = 2000 ]