Date:      Thu, 5 Jun 2003 11:33:28 +0200
From:      jeremie le-hen <le-hen_j@epita.fr>
To:        Tim Baur <tbaur@panaso.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Non-Executable Stack Patch

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 09:23:57PM -0700, Tim Baur wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Jun 2003, Tony Meman wrote:
>
> > I was wondering if there's any non-executable stack patch for
> > FreeBSD's kernel.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > I'm not interested in patches for gcc or alikes either.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> http://www.trl.ibm.com/projects/security/ssp/buildfreebsd.html

>From http://www.trl.ibm.com/projects/security/ssp/ :
<<  What's the stack-smashing protector?
    It is a GCC (Gnu Compiler Collection) extension for protecting
    applications from stack-smashing attacks. Applications written
    in C will be protected by the method that automatically inserts
    protection code into an application at compilation time. >>

I also had a quick look to the patch, and it's clearly GCC which is
mainly modified. A very few kernel source files are changed, in
order to make a panic when a stack overflow occurs within it.

--
Jeremie aka TtZ/TataZ
jeremie.le-hen@epita.fr