Date:      Fri, 22 Jan 1999 21:00:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      ONE-MO <onemo@jps.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/9616: New port: math/abs

The following reply was made to PR ports/9616; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: ONE-MO <onemo@jps.net>
To: Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@giovannelli.it>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 20:50:29 -0800

 Gianmarco Giovannelli wrote:

 > At 14.59 22/01/99 -0800, ONE-MO wrote:
 > >*Potential commiters*
 > >
 > >I decided to play with this one, it compiled/installed with the
 > >following changes - for one reason or another the patches needed tabs
 > >for white space rather then spaces.
 > >
 > >portlint also passes without problems although make uninstall doesn't
 > >work.
 >
 > Here we tried in two person without any problems, can you explain what's is
 > wrong .. because I tried to make install, package, deinstall etc etc
 > without any problem at all and it was the first port I made :-)
 > But we can test it only on 4.0-current ...
 >
 > Thanks...
 >
 > Best Regards,
 > Gianmarco Giovannelli (http://www.giovannelli.it/~gmarco)
 > "Unix expert since yesterday"

 OK, here's what I get:

 With everything as originally submitted -

 mars:/usr/ports/math/abs# make install
 "Makefile", line 18: Need an operator
 make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue

 After adding an '@' to the top-level Makefile as follows:

 do-install:

         @ ${INSTALL_PROGRAM} ${WRKSRC}/abs ${PREFIX}/bin

 mars:/usr/ports/math/abs# make install
 ===>  Extracting for abs-0.5
 >> Checksum OK for abs-src-0.5.tar.gz.
 ===>  Patching for abs-0.5
 ===>  Applying FreeBSD patches for abs-0.5
 patch: **** malformed patch at line 20: $(LIBS)
 *** Error code 1

 Stop.
 *** Error code 1

 Stop.
 *** Error code 1

 Stop.
 *** Error code 1

 Stop.
 *** Error code 1

 Stop.

 This I've tried with Patch v2.1 and v2.5, and bash, sh, ksh, and csh. Until I
 changed the whitespace in the patches to tabs, I couldn't get the patches to
 apply. What I had done earlier was manually modify the sources based on your
 patches and then run a diff -ruN against my changes. When I diff'd my patches
 against your patches, the only difference was that the source and I used tabs
 and your patches used spaces (perhaps due to Netscape's File Save function if
 you originally used tabs).

 I'm no expert on ports either - that's why I decided to test other's
 submissions and do some minor updating (I did the initial update of
 WindowMaker to 0.50.x and submitted my diffs to the maintainer).

 Just trying to help, if it turns out I've got something weird happening on my
 end - I hope to find out now before I actually 'do' start porting things on my

 Michael (MO!)