Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2001 10:50:49 +0100
From:      Alex Dyas <ADyas@twowaytv.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: X application without starting a desktop

>  #! /bin/sh  (<-- btw. what's the meaning/use of this comment?)
>  # .xinitrc
>
>  # start fvwm2
>  exec fvwm2 &

this is not strictly necessary, and probably not worth it if you only want
to run one app.

>  # ...and start some nice progs
>  exec xterm &
>  exec xeyes &

This is where you want to run your x-app, so instead of xterm and xeyes you
put something like:

exec <yourapp> &

>  # EOF
>
> When I startx, the Xserver starts loading and then shuts down.
>
> When I tried to run fvwm2 directly from the prompt:
> # fvwm2 &
>
> I got a "Can't open display" <<ERROR>>

This is because fvwm2 is an X application itself, and as such it needs an X
server running.  This is why it is included as one of the programs to run in
your xinitrc.  As I said, you probably don't need a window manager at all if
all you're trying to do is run one app.

alex..