Date:      Wed, 1 Jan 2003 10:25:33 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sendmail ignoring MX records

On Thu, Dec 26, 2002 at 09:57:11PM +1100, I wrote:
>One of my systems insists on trying to deliver mail directly to A
>record addresses rather than via MX records.

Thanks to everyone who responded.  Turns out it was an operator error :-(.

I tried setting various trace flags and eventually found my error: At
some stage in the past, I'd created an /etc/mail/service.switch that
included "hosts files".  (I now recall that I'd been unsuccessfully
trying to convince that system to never need DNS for another project.
I must have forgotten to remove my changes).  Removing this file fixed
my problem.

I'm not sure why disabling DNS in /etc/mail/service.switch only
affected MX lookups and still allowed A-record lookups - but I
suspect it's due to hostname lookups using gethostbyname() which
_does_ support DNS via /etc/host.conf.

Peter