Date:      Sat, 19 Feb 2000 07:13:50 -0800
From:      "Victor Salaman" <archiver@db.geocrawler.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   openssl in -current

This message was sent from Geocrawler.com by "Victor Salaman" <salaman@teknos.com>
Be sure to reply to that address.

I personally think that it's braindead to add
openssl to the system and stripout parts of it
(RSA & IDEA). Don't get me wrong, I love to have
openssl inside the system, it's just that a lot
of things don't work as expected (OpenSSH, Apache-
modssl,etc). I think there are sneaky ways to get
around the export restrictions, patents, etc. I
think FreeBSD should let the user decide wether
they want to take the resposability of installing
the restricted code or not, and not let the
developers decide that. As a quick fix, I have
setup openssl094 separate from the system build,
and have incorporated a script to copy
the "original" libraries in /usr/lib as the
original authors of OpenSSL intented and now my
openssh port, apache-modssl, (everything) works
as expected.

Imagine that you are setting up 100 FreeBSD
machines, it's not an option to do make world
from sources and build a "new" non-crippled
crypto system. You just want to install it and
go!

This is not a flame. Just my 2 cents.

Geocrawler.com - The Knowledge Archive