Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 1996 16:18:26 -0800
From:      Per Hojmark <per@via.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   sockets programming question

I want to build a database server process that:
   -   listens on a port
   -   connects to incoming users
   -   forks to create new state & connection info for database.
   -   does some database lookups
   -   returns info to user
   -   closes connection.

So, suppose I was listening on port 1234, when I get a connection
from a remote machine, do I need to switch to a new port number?

I notice that many programs use 'well known' port numbers, but after
forking, seem to switch to a port > 1024. It appears that they use
the 'well-known' port number just for the initial connection.

-per