Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 1996 12:49:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ken Marsh <durang@u.washington.edu>
To:        Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>
Cc:        "Hr.Ladavac" <lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.co.at>, DARBY1@x400.telkom400.inca.za, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   shutting down from X

On Wed, 7 Aug 1996, Don Yuniskis wrote:

> > Well, it does.  But what I said had to do with C-A-D and X: X doesn't
> > propagate the keypresses and it steals the keyboard from the system--read
> > "You cannot C-A-D from X".
>
> Yes.  Understood.  Oh, *I* see (said the blind man)... you were
> discussing how to shutdown WITHOUT killing X *first*!  (I read this
> as killing X then using ALT-F1 -- not CTRL-ALT-F1 -- to select the
> first VTY... I was trying to point out that shutdown automatically
> drops you into the console... "Nevermind"  :>)
>
> Yes.  But, at least it looked at the source of the command to provide
> *some* measure of protection against someone shutting down the system
> (even root) from a tty...

I shut down by issuing the shutdown command in an xterm window all the
time! It seems to me that the xterms are killed gracefully after being
giving the warning message, and then X is exited back to ttyv0, I see the
sync going on, then the halt.

Is this a bad way to do it???

Or are you talking about CAF1ing while X is running and shuting down from
there?

Ken