Date:      Wed, 13 Jan 1999 16:58:06 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        nisha@CS.Berkeley.EDU (Nisha Talagala)
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Explanations of Disk Error Messages

Nisha Talagala wrote...

> There are a set of error message definitions in
>
> /usr/src/sys/cam/scsi/scsi_all.c, in the data structure
> static struct asc_table_entry asc_text[]. (The list is too long to
> include here)
>
> Most of them are mentioned in the SCSI-2 spec. The spec does not
> explain what disk behavior triggers each message though. Also, a few of
> the messages in the scsi_all.c code are not defined in the SCSI spec
> documents that I was able to download. The"Failure Prediction Threshold
> Exceeded" message is one of the undefined ones.
>
> Can anyone let me know what disk behaviour triggers each message? I'm
> interested in the following 3 messages in particular:
> 	- Pheripheral device write fault field replaceable unit
> 	- Diagnostic failure: ASCQ=Component ID field replaceable unit
> 	- Failure Prediction Threshold Exceeded field replaceable unit

Mike already explained what those errors mean, so I won't repeat what he
said.

The ASC/ASCQ text descriptions were taken from a text file, I think on
ftp.symbios.com somewhere, that had the latest SCSI-3 draft ASC/ASCQ values
and descriptions.

So in order to find out what those things mean, you'll probably want to
download the SCSI-3 draft specs from:

http://www.symbios.com/x3t10/drafts.htm

As far as what disk behavior triggers each message, the above messages
probably really depend on the disk in question.  A full SCSI interface
manual for the disk may or may not be helpful in figuring things out.
Quantum and Seagate at least have manuals on their web sites for most of
their disks.  IBM, on the other hand, does not have manuals on its web
site.

I sent mail to IBM's disk tech support email address about a month ago
asking why they don't provide SCSI interface specs for their drives on the
web, but they never responded.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry