Date:      Wed, 1 Jun 2011 14:41:17 +0400
From:      Lev Serebryakov <lev@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Nick Hibma <nick@van-laarhoven.org>
Cc:        lev@FreeBSD.org, n_hibma@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Changes to usb/serial: how to distinguish between old and new interfaces in 8-STABLE and 9-CURRENT branches?

Hello, Nick.
You wrote 1 =E8=FE=ED=FF 2011 =E3., 10:40:55:

> ABI's change. You need to use __FreeBSD_version. See /usr/include/osrelda=
te.h.
   Hm, I look at this:

   http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=3Drevision&revision=3D221612

   And I don't see any changes to "sys/sys/param.h" which contains
"master" value for __FreeBSD_version, so I can not  understand, how
should I know proper value of __FreeBSD_version for this change.

  Also, http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/stable/8/sys/sys/param.h
doesn't show any commits related to USB serial code changes -- only
KHook, KPI, TCP congestion control modularization, gcc, etc.

  I affraid, that there is no notes about this in
`doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/book.sgml' too, as it
seems, that many people forgot to update it even after param.h update.

> But could we include the driver in the kernel? That way it would be updat=
ed when needed.
  Yes, of course :) I'll be very glad to see my driver in base system.
Latest code (not adapted for new version yet, but it is trivial
change, of course) is in `comms/umcs7840' port. License is
FreeBSD-compatible (2-clause BSD + AS-IS), code is `clear', as it is
written by me from scratches according to vendor datasheet, not
adapted/ported from Linux or any other OS or source. It is prepared to
build as module via our bsd.*.mk system, so it doesn't need to be
ported from auto*-framework or any exotic make version.

 I've tried to make code style(9) compatible too, but I will not swear,
that it 100% style(9)-proof :)

--=20
// Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <lev@FreeBSD.org>