Date:      Tue, 15 Jun 1999 20:45:14 -0400
From:      Forrest Aldrich <forrie@forrie.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Qpopper 3.0b18 on FreeBSD + APOP

I've not been able to get qpopper to do APOP for several releases... back
to the 2.xx version.  I've documented the problems and sent them to qualcomm,
but no response.

I compile with the correct flags, checked directory and file permissions, read
(and re-read) their README file, to no avail.

Here are the symptoms:

-- popauth will not -init, not unless I touch the pop.auth.dir and pop.auth.pag
files,
otherwise it croaks

-- popauth will segfault, afterward, when trying to add a user

-- Even worse, if I try to back up and start over (yes, popauth is u+s to
"pop"), I get this:
$ ./popauth -init
Really initialize POP authentication DB? y
./popauth: error setting ownership of POP authentication DB: No such file or
directory

and I find that the *.dir *.pag files have been obliterated, and it refuses to
correct them.
The permissions on /usr/local/etc/pop are all correct (as is
/usr/local/etc/pop/pop.auth,
which was specified on the configure line).

This is very frustrating, and I find it hard to believe that I'm the only one
having this problem.
That or people just don't use APOP :)

Thanks in advance....