Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 1996 16:36:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        deanf@www.durham.net (Dean Forester)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: INN 1.4 unoff4 running on FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE

Dean Forester wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are running our news server on a 486 DX4/100 with 48Mb RAM, and 50Mb
> of swap space. The machine is running on a ISA motherboard, with an

	the amount of swap that you have allocated is most likely
	insufficient.  you should have enough memory to run all
	your processes without swapping.  if that is not possible,
	then at least allocate more swap.  the old rule of
	thumb says 100MB swap for ~50MB ram.

	use ps or top to see how large the set of processes becomes
	and size the machine to match.

	only 1 drive for news?  moving history to another drive (or
	better another controller) would probably help you.

jmb
--
Jonathan M. Bresler           FreeBSD Postmaster             jmb@FreeBSD.ORG
FreeBSD--4.4BSD Unix for PC clones, source included. http://www.freebsd.org/