Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2002 22:24:52 -0500
From:      Scott Lambert <lambert@lambertfam.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: sendmail 8.12.2 MFC'ed

On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 05:12:24PM +0000, Pete French wrote:
> > I don't mind sendmail being the default, what I do mind is that after
> > every upgrade I need to find the new sendmail binary, delete it, and
> > point a link towards the qmail sendmail binary.
>
> Err - mailwrapper ? I hate sendmail too, my /etc/mail/mailer.conf looks
> like this:
>
> sendmail        /usr/local/sbin/exim
> send-mail       /usr/local/sbin/exim
> mailq           /usr/local/sbin/exim
> newaliases      /usr/local/sbin/exim

Except that with the rc.conf changes to sendmail_enable you now need to
start your MTA from /usr/local/etc/rc.d/{qmail|postfix|exim|...}.sh or
rc.local and setting sendmail_enable=NO rather than it just working once
you fixup mailer.conf.

I think this patch pretty much does away with the arguments that the
sendmail_* rc.conf variables should be mta_* as it pretty much makes the
knob useless for any other mailer with a sendmail compatible interface.

I'm not complaining about it.  I do like I'm supposed to and read
FreeBSD-STABLE.  :-)  Now I know I have to do some extra work the
next time I upgrade a -STABLE system.  If I get bitten it's *my* fault.

lambert@lambertfam.org       http://www.lambertfam.org/~lambert/resume.html
3 years Sr. SysAdmin experience with FreeBSD in small & medium size ISPs.