Date:      Tue, 20 Mar 2001 02:57:34 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: non-serial modems

Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au> types:
> I started to install FreeBSD on a new PC and then discovered that
> the internal modem I had that was "almost" recognised by FreeBSD
> is in fact a "software" modem (which is what I assume people are
> referring to when they talk about a "winmodem"--the card is basically
> a "telephone adaptor" and all the modem work is done by software
> on the CPU).
>
> Hunting through the archives I saw some references to a USR card
> that was actually a full modem, but I haven't seen any definite
> information on other models that people have got to work.
>
> So I went back to my friendly dealer and explained the problem to
> them.  They said that as far as they know USR have stopped making
> internal modems, and that the two external modems they generally
> stock are a HP USB modem, and an ACER (I think) parallel-port
> modem.
>
> So the questions are:
>
> 	Does anyone know any internal modems currently on the
> 	market that work?  (I'd really like to have fewer boxes
> 	on my desk if I can...)

Sorry, can't help with that one. I'd suggest avoiding an internal
modem if you can.

> 	Does anyone know whether USB or parallel modems work
> 	with FreeBSD (and how to configure them into things
> 	like tip, UUCP, ...)?

USB modems that support the CACM will work with FreeBSD. Those that
don't support it won't work with FreeBSD.  The easiest way to find out
if a modem supports CACM is probably to buy and try it. Some the USB
modems don't need a power plug (the worst problem with more
boxes). I've seen one that was bisically a wide spot on the phone
cable, but didn't pick it up to try it.

I've never *heard* of a parallel modem before, so I can't help with
that one. If it shows up as a ppi device, it might work.

	<mike