Date:      Wed, 12 Aug 1998 15:25:26 +1200
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>
To:        GR Gaudreau <grgaud@sprint.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD or Linux?

On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, GR Gaudreau wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm not UNIX proficient and have been a Windoze user since version 3.0. All
> I want to do is to run my computer as a workstation, get on the Internet,
> do some word processing and HTML programming, and some light graphical
> work.

Well, FreeBSD has a native Netscape binary; and with Linux emulation
you could run WordPerfect 8...

[snip]
> Would I be better off installing say, Redhat 5.1, or the
> latest version of FreeBSD?

FreeBSD! Of course, what else would you expect if you ask
freebsd-questions :).

>And, what X-Windows GUI should I run on my
> machine? Damn! there are so many of them!! Thanks.

My personal preference is WindowMaker, http://www.windowmaker.org,
it's cute, it's flashy, and has more options than ls(1).

Cheers.