Date:      Fri, 19 Jul 1996 09:04:47 GMT+0100
From:      "Kees Jan Koster" <Kees.Koster@nym.sc.philips.com>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SOYO SY-30F2 blues

> I had a memory problem with 2 PCI cards - in my case a Cirrus Logic 5434
> and an Adaptec 2940.  As with your case, the cards were grabbing the same
> memory area.  I 'cured' it by swapping their positions on the motherboard.
> It seems that they were deciding on their memory area by some kind of
> base x slot number calculation.  When they were in the positions I used
> first, they overlaid each other, after I reversed them, the problem
> disappeared.
>
> Although my experience is with different cards, and I'm no hardware
> maven - try swapping slots - it couldn't hurt!

Oh, I didn't mention that? I tried swapping cards, moving the SCSI
controller to slot 2 and the S3 to slot 1. In any combination where
the SCSI card has a higher slot number than the S3 the machine will
boot, up to the point where FreeBSD inserts it's own device drivers.
The I will see a message similar to:

 ncr0: CACHE CONFIGURED INCORRECTLY
 <crash>

I haven't tried MS-DOS in this situation, but then again it'd
probably work just fine and that would freak me out %-)

Groetjes,
   Kees Jan