Date:      24 Feb 1998 21:32:09 +0100
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav)
To:        Stephen Ritter <t_sritte@qualcomm.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ASUS P2L97DS

Stephen Ritter <t_sritte@qualcomm.com> writes:
> Hello, I am fairly new to FreeBSD (a linux convert!) and would like to know
> if any of you have experience putting together a machine using the ASUS
> P2L97DS motherboard?  I would like to build a machine which would initially
> only have one PII300 on the board, but eventually I would add the second.

I can't answer the questions you asked, but I can tell you this: the
P2L97 is not a good performer. It has only three DIMM slots and two
ISA slots (although the latter is actually an advantage if you're not
planning to use any ISA cards); it is also, to put it mildly, not the
fastest LX motherboard around. If I were you, I'd either buy a Tyan or
ABIT board instead, or wait for the ASUSTek's *next* LX model.

Currently, ABIT LX6 seems to be the best single-CPU PII board, and
Tyan Thunder 2 should be a good bet for a dual-CPU PII board. The
Thunder 2 has an onboard AIC7895, i.e. Adaptec 3940UW dual-channel
SCSI controller, which is supported by the CAM SCSI code (but not by
the "old" SCSI code in -stable)

--
"I have a closed mind. It helps keeping the rain out." (Michael Press on a.s.r)