Date:      Fri, 05 Jul 1996 12:17:08 -0400
From:      "Jordyn A. Buchanan" <jordyn@bestweb.net>
To:        compland@ism.com.br (Helio Coelho Jr. - CompuLand Informatica), questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sendmail

Helio Coelho Jr. - CompuLand Informatica wrote:
>    I just installed Sendmail 8.7.5 in a FreeBSD box., very easy to install.
>It's working, but when I give:
>
>    telnet server 25
>
>I get in return
>
> ...  ESMTP Sendmail 8.7.5/8.6.12 ...
>                           ^^^^^^ why this ? Anything related do sendmail.cf ?

Yes.  You haven't updated your sendmail.cf file.  The second version number
typically indicates the version of sendmail that the sendmail.cf file was
built for.  That's not the most accurate way of stating it, but if you use
the macros to create a new sendmail.cf file you'll correct the disparity.

Jordyn
Jordyn A. Buchanan				       jordyn@bestweb.net
BestWeb Corporation				          +1 914 271 4500
Senior Systems Administrator