Date:      Tue, 13 Feb 2001 16:05:16 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@gbch.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do you recognise 2nd IDE master disk?

Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Monday, 12 February 2001 at 20:39:30 +1000, Greg Black wrote:
> > I added a second IDE disk to a 4.1-R box, using its secondary IDE
> > channel, with the disk jumpered as a master (as per instructions
> > from various sources).  I rebuilt the kernel with the following:
> >
> > # ATA and ATAPI devices
> > device          ata0    at isa? port IO_WD1 irq 14
> > device          ata1    at isa? port IO_WD2 irq 15
> > device          ata
> > device          atadisk                 # ATA disk drives
> > device          atapicd                 # ATAPI CDROM drives
> > #device         atapifd                 # ATAPI floppy drives
> > #device         atapist                 # ATAPI tape drives
> > options         ATA_STATIC_ID           #Static device numbering
> > #options        ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI_DMA    #Enable DMA on ATAPI devices
> >
> > (I had previously left the "device ata1" line commented out when
> > there was one disk plus the CDROM.)
> >
> > But I seem to have done something wrong, as only the original
> > disk and CDROM are seen on boot.
> >
> > Can somebody please tell me the magic to get the second disk
> > recognised?
>
> That should be correct.  If the drive is not being recognized, it's
> probably a hardware issue.  You do have the controller enabled in the
> BIOS, do you?

This was the root of the problem.  I had enabled the secondary
master in one of the BIOS menus, but had not noticed that there
was another item buried on a different BIOS menu called "Onboard
PCI IDE Enable".  It offers "primary", "secondary", "both" or
"disable" and defaults to "both".  When I built this box, I must
have set it to "primary" and I missed it when I installed the
new disk.  Beats me why they can't keep related items together.

So, for others doing this, make sure you check /all/ the BIOS
menus for disk-related options.

> The answers about "have you created the devices" are bogus.  At boot
> time the drive should be recognized whether or not you have the device
> nodes.  You'll need the device nodes in order to access them, of
> course.

Yes, this was obvious.  Those people did not read the question.

For the benefit of people who are confused about the FreeBSD
disk numbering scheme, this secondary IDE master disk was
identified as ad2 (and the primary master is ad0).

Greg