Date:      Sun, 02 Feb 2003 06:47:07 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        ob@e-Gitt.NET
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about devd concept

In message: <20030201182012.GC97784@e-Gitt.NET>
            Oliver Brandmueller <ob@e-Gitt.NET> writes:
: Hi,
:
: I'm currently experimenting with 5-CURRENT on my Notebook an have a
: question regarding the concept of devd.
:
: With 4-STABLE I had pccardd running. Whenever a pccard was inserted I
: had pccardd starting the corresponding scripts. I have configured devd
: to do so now (especially for my wavelan pccard). So far everything
: works, except for one case: When the pccard is already inserted during
: boot, devd does not recognize the card as newly inserted device (of
: course, it's already there). So I have currently setup a script in
: /usr/local/etc/rc.d which starts the script corresponding to the wavelan
: pccard, if interface wi0 is found during boot. I think this cannot be
: the considered solution for that problem?
:
: What am I missing about the concept of devd?

devd works for me when I have devices in my machine at boot.  It does
run the start script for me.  I just confirmed this on my machine.  I
put my wi card in, booted and it picked up a dhcp address.

What script are you trying to run?  What does your configuration file
look like?

Warner