Date:      Wed, 21 Jul 1999 08:28:19 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "=?iso-8859-1?q?Jean-Pierre=20H.=20Dumas?=" <jphdumas@yahoo.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   sendmail vs qmail ?

OK, I have set up DNS and apache and sendmail, on
FreeBSD 3.2R, out of the box.
Everything run fine, but...
As this is going to be a *unattended server*, with very little Unix
knowledge once I quit the company, I am
wondering about qmail instead of sendmail.

For two main reasons:
1. Security (the net is full of FAQs, Howtos, rumors,
etc. and they all say the same, basically)
Everywhere I read: sendmail is a potential threat
to security, qmail is the thing to go.
2. Ease of administration: I this machine will be
a pure server, *no* users will ever login into it.
just POP3, and HTML and FTP, to the max. So, somewhere
in the voluminous qmail blurbs, ads, FAQs, etc I read
that it is possible to have users *without* a regular
unix account. (Does this means what I dream of, no
entry in /etc/passwd and co. ?)

Question: Is this really possible, if yes how, where
is it practically documented ?
If not, what is the best way to go to set up a mail
server, with all the users files in a easy to
administer place, no security threats. ?

Currently sendmail on FreeBSD + Netscape/Eudora on
Windows is working OK, but I have to set up users
account, and it may prove a little heavy for the
future part time administrator without unix knowledge
and no willingness to get any.
(vipw is out of question, definitely, and adduser
is possible but I am not sure it is so foolproof and
idiotproof)

Thanks for any knowledgeable help.
Thanks again to those who helped me with 2.2.8 vs 3.2

Jean-Pierre Dumas
jphdumas@yahoo.fr
jphdumas@oz.igh.cnrs.fr