Date:      27 Mar 2001 10:14:55 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, jreynold@sedona.ch.intel.com
Subject:   Re: apm lines in LINT and GENERIC

jreynold@sedona.ch.intel.com (John Reynolds~) writes:

> Hi all, I was searching through the archives and came upon this:
>
> Conrad Sabatier wrote:
> >
> > Incidentally, can anyone explain why the lines that define apm are different in
> > LINT and the GENERIC kernel config?
> >
> > LINT has simply:
> >
> > device          apm0
> >
> > While GENERIC has:
> >
> > device          apm0 at nexus? disable flags 0x20 # Advanced Power Management
> >

> I followed all the threads from this message I could find, but didn't find a
> concrete answer. Can somebody elaborate?

I'm not sure about specifying the root nexus, which seems like the
*only* useful place to look for motherboard power management anyway,
but the flags value '0x20' indicates that the statclock is broken.
Many are, but not all.

> I was messing with a new Dell Latitude (well, new to me) laptop over the
> weekend and was only able to get APM stuff working if I chose the LINT line
> rather than the one in GENERIC.

Well, 'disable' is obviously not going to help it work.  The reason
you (or the GENERIC kernel) would compile in the support but specify
that it's disabled is that you can *re*enable it via boot-time
configuration without needing a recompile.

I hope that helps.