Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 2000 01:23:08 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: <<<<<need help>>>>>>

> > >  Dear support team of Free BSD,
> > >

> > > We are a company who looking for high performance and Open Platform
> > > yet very stables machines.  So we have chose Free BSD 4.0 as our OS
> >
> > I'm no expert on this,
>
> You've made that quite obvious, if you have nothing factual to
> say, then it's best not to speak at all.

Sorry. I wrote because
(a) the more knowledgable people often don't answer such general questions
    (including this one, so far, at least on-list)
(b) the release notes clearly discourage you from using 4.0 unless you're
    an early adopter or developer; that seems quite factual to me
(c) I myself was ticked off long ago for talking about problems in
    3.0, since it was not meant for newbies (this was in a private mail)
(d) maybe my mention of linux or other BSD's offended you (I expected
    that), but it's a fact that linux works well for us on the alpha. It's
    compatible with all our hardware and is fast and stable, for our
    kind of load. I advocate FreeBSD readily when appropriate but I'm not
    religious about it. This case looks clearly inappropriate to me.

So, if you disagree with any of that, it would have been nice if you
had corrected me rather than just send such an uninformative message.

Rahul.