Date:      Tue, 15 Feb 2000 22:18:10 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@ns.sol.net>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Filesystem size limit?

Joe Greco wrote:
> So I wanted to vinum my new 1.9TB of disks together just for chuckles, and
> it went OK up to the newfs..
>
> S play.p0.s0            State: up       PO:        0  B Size:         46 GB
> S play.p0.s1            State: up       PO:       32 MB Size:         46 GB
[..]
> S play.p0.s35           State: up       PO:     1120 MB Size:         46 GB
> S play.p0.s36           State: up       PO:     1152 MB Size:         46 GB
> S play.p0.s37           State: up       PO:     1184 MB Size:         46 GB
> vinum ->
> Suspended
> # newfs -v /dev/vinum/rplay
> preposterous size -584318976
>
> Bleah.  :-(
>
> Just thought I'd mention it.  I'm putting the machine into production,
> with the smaller filesystems that I originally intended, but it seemed
> noteworthy to pass this along.  Dunno how many terabyte filesystem folks
> are out there.

/usr/include/sys/disklabel.h:
           u_int32_t p_size;       /* number of sectors in partition */

newfs.c:
int     fssize;                 /* file system size */
..
havelabel:
        if (fssize == 0)
                fssize = pp->p_size;

ie: there is a signed 32 bit sector count limit.  2^31 == 1TB.  It shouldn't
be too hard to get it to create 2^32 bit (2TB) filesystem though.  I'd expect
there to be more problems that this to bite you though. :-(

2^31 also happens to be the mmap() file offset limit FWIW.

BTW; what on earth is going on this beastie?  Is this raid5 or stripe/concat?
(And I'd hate to be waiting for a fsck :-)

Cheers,
-Peter