Date:      Thu, 18 Feb 2016 00:03:29 +0100
From:      Bertram Scharpf <lists@bertram-scharpf.de>
To:        Anil Gulati <gulati.au@gmail.com>, freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What are the criteria for contributing to development and testing?

Dear Anil,

On Thursday, 18. Feb 2016, 02:07:16 +1100, Anil Gulati wrote:
> [...] buying
> an Intel NUC or System 76 with 5th Gen Broadwell Intel i3/i/5/i7 would be a
> no go for X11 on FreeBSD.
>
> Is it possible for me to contribute to the development and testing of
> driver support to get these chips working with the Intel HD Graphics 6000
> 6100 etc?
>
> [...]
>
> What are the criteria for contributing to development and testing?

Patience, patience, and again patience. Two and a half
months ago I made the same offer to contribute because I own
a Broadwell and because I'm an experienced programmer. The
only thing I asked for was some instructions where to start
from as I'm new to the FreeBSD kernel.

There are two types of answers I get. Either it is a link to
a web page I could also have found by Google, or it is the
information that my request is on the schedule and will be
processed in the near future. In ten weeks I probably could
have produced some working code. It'a a pity that so much
precious time was lost.

I experienced the same on <http://bugs.freebsd.org>. If you
aren't part of the FreeBSD mishpocha, they will treat you
like a leper, no matter how good your code is or how willing
you are.

Good luck!

Bertram

--