Date:      Fri, 9 Dec 2005 14:09:13 +0100
From:      Michael Schuh <michael.schuh@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Questions about geom-gate and RAID1/10 and CARP

Hello,

i have searched informations about geom-gate and RAID1 or
Raid10 over TCP/IP. But nothing relevant found, so that i write
the questions here.

My opinion/scenario that i thinked out:
i Have 2 Machines Host  A and Host B,
both Machines have 2 Networkinterfaces,
one official and one private.
The official interfaces getting bound with CARP for
traffic, so that peoples think they connect's to one Machine.
So that i get, for this case, a high-availibility-solution on CARP-Base.
The private interfaces get to be used to derive my data from one Machine
to the other Machine, and also spend the possibility to watch the other Mac=
hine.

To this point everything is clear for me, so let us go to the more
complex part.

In the description above i be suppressed to derive the shared-data
for booth machines from one to another. My idea was to build an
RAID1 or RAID10 over the Network by using geom-gate and vinum
respective gvinum.

Has anyone any experiences with geom-gate and doing RAID1 or RAID10 over
TCP/IP? And has anyone a good solution in Production use?
My Questions about these thema are:
a) Is this generally possible with FreeBSD ?
b)is this generally a good idea ?
c)how must i setup the RAID?
d)who must build the raid? Host A? Host B? or BOTH?
e) can i use this way to become an HA-Solution?

I have searched in the Web about these questions, but nothing found.
Only things that i have found was Mirroring (local) and mode generals
related to local work with geom.

Thanks for help.

regards

Michael