Date:      Tue, 20 Mar 2001 04:23:43 -0500 (EST)
From:      Stephen Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>
To:        John Telford <j.telford@sympatico.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What name brand would you buy for a firewall/router ?

> If the boss said "stop using those old cast offs for FreeBSD
> firewalls/routers and buy a name brand"

HAHAHA - Thats why we call bosses 'damagement' - they like to spend money
even thought they arent the ones that have to get beeped in at 2 am.

> What's out there right now that would be worth looking at and avoiding.
> Dell, IBM, Compaq ? Processor Celeron, PIII, AMD ?
> Thanks in advance, John.

Ive found compaq's to be too internally proprietary for upgrading/fixing
(maybe thats changed - I havent bought one in 7+ years because I got
screwed twice that way) - I found DELLs blew power supplies alot (4
offices with 8 servers, all blew them on an average of once every 4 to 7
months) - that may have changed too.

These days I go for cloney clones I can fix and upgrade with redily
available parts.