Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 15:52:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Marty Poulin <mpoulin@honk.org>
To:        newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing X

On Sat, 13 Jun 1998, Gary Harris wrote:

> > > Ignoring the issue of acquiring the actual tarballs for X, what's wrong
> > > with the instructions that come with it at the moment?
> >
> > Which instructions? Where? Are they in the Handbook or FAQ?
> > (It's a while since I've done a new installation)
>
>    there's a file in the XF86332 ftp directory and a large entry in the Handbook on www,freebsd.com.
>

>         Cheers,
>
>              Gary.

If there is a large entry in the Handbook, I have yet to find it.
All that is listed in the handbook is a link to the XFree86 site.
Check out the section in the Handbook titled: "The X Window System"
(http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook132.html#187)
and you'll see what I mean.

The ftp site is a bit better- there is a FAQ at
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/XFree86/FAQ/faq.html that helps quit a
bit.

Ultimately, the most helpful site I have found to date is a
Linux site <horror!>:

http://www.linux-howto.com/HOWTO/XFree86-HOWTO

That, combined with the Release notes found on the XFree86 site
(ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/current/binaries/FreeBSD-2.2.x/)
seem to be just about all of the info I need - especially the file
called "FILES" - it lists the entire file structure of each
tarball.

That was the original point that I was getting at.  This info is out
there, but it is not easy to find right off the bat, especially for a
newbie.  It would be extremely useful to us newbies to be able to find
this info directly in the Handbook.

Anyway, I will be attempting to install X this weekend, so wish me luck.

Beauty, n: the power by which a woman charms a lover and terrifies a
husband.       - Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"