Date:      Fri, 09 May 2014 18:10:41 +0200
From:      Harald Schmalzbauer <h.schmalzbauer@omnilan.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How is rpc.lockd called? (in =?ISO-8859-15?Q?=BBchroot=AB_envi?= =?ISO-8859-15?Q?ronment_nfs-write-open_fails_with_=22lockd_not?= =?ISO-8859-15?Q?_responding=22=29?=

--------------enigACFCE7B2633E738BA84707E4

Hello,

I'd like to understand what's going on when opening a file for write
access, like 'vi myfile'.

I have a FreeBSD-9.2 machine, mounted a nfs shre to /mnt.
'vi /mnt/myfile' works without problems.

Now I also mount the same nfs-share to /jail/mnt
After 'chroot /jail su -' I can't open myfile, I just get "lockd not
responding" errors.

So I wonder how a file lock is requested in general and in the nfs case.
Is there any unix socket which must be accessable (I don't think so,
outside the jail there's only /var/run/rpcbind).

Thanks for the lesson, any links explaining (nfs)lock-requests also
highly appreciated!

-Harry