Date:      Wed, 08 Dec 1999 22:13:08 +0000
From:      Adam Laurie <adam@algroup.co.uk>
To:        Mark Newton <newton@atdot.dotat.org>
Cc:        "Scott I. Remick" <scott@computeralt.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What kind of attack is this?

Mark Newton wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 08, 1999 at 04:51:11PM -0500, Scott I. Remick wrote:
>
>  > I know that's what firewalls are for, and that's why I'm working on
>  > one.  Holdup is time-constraints and red-tape and corporate politics and
>  > screwed up priorities and so on, so let's just leave it that the firewall
>  > is coming but is not here yet (if you remember back, this is the company
>  > that wants to use MS Proxy).
>
> heheh.  That's probably why you're being attacked :-)
>
>  > So how does one protect themselves against such an attack?  I have an
>  > Ascend Pipeline 50 router which I'm trying to sort out from the manuals a
>  > way to use its filters and how it behaves if rules overlap (what I'm
>  > thinking is trying to find a way to block all incoming UDP packets EXCEPT
>  > the type which are known to be good).
>
> Get a FreeBSD box with two ethernet interfaces.  Enable ipfw.  Start
> with rules that look like this:
>
>   ipfw add pass udp from any GOODPORT to any in via OUTSIDE-INTERFACE
>   i in via OUTSIDE-INTERFACE
>   ipfw add pass all from any to any

No, that would be bad. If they can spoof their address, they can
certainly spoof the source port (get a copy of netcat (respex to hobbit)
and have a play if you don't believe it).

cheers,
Adam
--
Adam Laurie                   Tel: +44 (181) 742 0755
A.L. Digital Ltd.             Fax: +44 (181) 742 5995