Date:      Thu, 26 Apr 2001 19:07:19 -0500
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John Reynolds~ <jreynold@sedona.ch.intel.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD/GNOME 1.4 RC3

On Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 04:46:21PM -0700, John Reynolds~ wrote:
> When you say "GNOME setup" what exactly are you talking about here?

I mean removing every single port that either uses GNOME, or is part
of the x11/gnome metaport, all the way down to imlib (possibly esound
and glib12/gtk12 also if they're not at 1.2.10)

No, I don't know of any easy way to do this.  My builder/testbox usually
gets the rm -rf /usr/X11R6 /usr/local /var/db/pkg/* treatment :(
(in addition, I have a local "port" which allows me to do one make to get
my complete development environment in place)

The issues with keeping things up-to-date, especially with large
sprawling ports, or those that have massive lists of dependencies
(like XFree86 for instance) are hard to solve right now.  There has
been much discussion in various places about this -- my gut feeling
is that OpenPackages will be the way to go -- hopefully I'll be able
to devote some more time to this once GNOME 1.4 is in the tree and
the gnome@FreeBSD.org pseudo-maintainer is set up.  GNOME is just too
big for one person now, even if they have 30-hour days :)

> You also say:
>
>   "Please note that nautilus does NOT appear in these packages. It is
>   fundamentally broken under FreeBSD and I do not expect any resolution
>   soon. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes"
>
> That's too bad. I was mainly looking forward to Nautilus in 1.4 (mostly to
> appease the wife who "needs" a GUI FM :). What portion of Nautilus is
> "fundamentally broken"?

Right now, my best guess is something inside the gnome-vfs component
and differences between the Linux and FreeBSD threads implementation
is causing Bad Things to happen.  I spent half a day hacking around trying
to make it link against linuxthreads, but that turned into a real mess :)

> Finally--what is "fifth-toe"? I looked at the tar file's contents and it
> appears to be the "other" applications such as gnucash, mozilla, etc. Where's
> fifth-toe come from?

Look at the GNOME logo.  It has 4 toes.  The fifth-toe metaport is simply
a collection of utilities to "broaden the GNOME experience", it is in
no way mandatory, simply a convenient means to bring a bunch of software
together.

Regards,
	-aDe

--