Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 1996 13:26:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
To:        David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Panic during boot

On Sun, 14 Apr 1996, David Greenman wrote:

> >> 	Wait, what's wrong with -n??  Except for the other day, I always
> >> use -gn when I reconfig the sources before compiling, so that I don't lose
> >> my version #.
> >
> >It would have been nice if you mentioned this back when you were talking
> >about other problems you were having.
> >
> >-n is _evil_.  If any changes have been made to your kernel sources that
> >you are not _intimately_ familiar with, (ie. you have resupped), then
> >you _must_must_must_ not use -n.  Dependencies aren't enough to protect
> >you from losing like this.  I suspect this _may_ be part of your problem.
>
>    Indeed. Even the dependencies themselves don't always work as expected so
> some things don't get rebuilt when they need to be. The whole reason why
> Jordan made the change to config to blow away the compile directory was
> because we kept getting weird bug reports that later turned out to be caused
> by a stale .o's.

	As I sent back to Jordan...*groan*  I only wanted to keep my
version numbers straight :(  actually, when I think back on it, it wasn't
until I started asking about the version numbers that someone mentioned
the -n switch...can we get rid of it altogether? :)

	Recompiling my kernel now and I'll see if that fixes the problem :(

Marc G. Fournier                                  scrappy@ki.net
Systems Administrator @ ki.net               scrappy@freebsd.org