Date:      Sun, 14 Feb 1999 18:59:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        chau00@gel.ulaval.ca, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        chau@e-c.qc.ca
Subject:   Re: How if I don't like it?

> Hi!
>
>     I'm looking for an operating system like Unix.  My internet provider
> told me that he is unsing FreeBSD for his server system and it's a great
> operating system as well.
>
>     As I used to work in a Dos environment (or Windows), I'm afraid to
> loose all control on my computer.  I mean I know what to do if something
> goes wrong with the Dos or with Windows, but I'm not sure if I'll be
> able to do so with Unix.  I'm studying Computer Engeneering and we
> mostly work in a Unix environment and as time passes, I like it.
>
>     There it is, I was wondering if the install will create a prompt
> asking me if I want to boot with Win98 or FreeBSD (if so, I gonna
> install it rigth now!)?  Or will it simply be installed over Win98?

  You should visit
	http://www.freebsd.org
 where you can find answers to all of your questions (and more).

 Basically, the answers are:
	FreeBSD *is* UNIX - it is not a "Unix like" operating system.
	It is based on a distribution of UNIX that is derived from
	efforts at Berkely.

 	Yes,  you can set things up to boot either Windows or FreeBSD.
	You can consult the web pages at http://www.freebsd.org
	for the details.  Look for references to "booteasy"

> Sam
>
> P.-S.: I heard about an Windows likely emulation...  Is that true and
> could FreeBSD do so?

 Yes - there is an on-going Windows emulation project called Wine.
 It is still *alpha* quality.  Depending on the Windows,
 program you want to run it might work, or it might not.

 There is a newsgroup where most Wine things are discussed.

 I believe you can pointers to more information regarding Wine on the
 FreeBSD web pages, http://www.freebsd.org

	- Dave Rivers -