Date:      Tue, 17 Jan 2012 12:02:39 +1100
From:      richo <richo@psych0tik.net>
To:        John Kozubik <john@kozubik.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, WBentley@FutureCIS.com, William Bentley <William@FutureCIS.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD has serious problems with focus, longevity, and lifecycle

--EVF5PPMfhYS0aIcm

On 16/01/12 16:13 -0800, John Kozubik wrote:

>Julian,
>
>On Mon, 16 Jan 2012, Julian Elischer wrote:
>
>>It pretty much boils down to one thing..  man power..
>

>Wouldn't there be more manpower available for more frequent minor
>releases if the project were not undertaking two simultaneous
>"production" releases ?  Specifically, wouldn't it have been feasible
>to be at 8.4 right now if much of 2011 had not been spent breaking
>ground on 9.0 ?
>
>Further, isn't the lack of focus, or "polish" of the current release
>also impacted by these decisions ?
>
>Of course there is a limited amount of manpower, but for the points I
>raised that was a symptom, not a cause...

This would be a different argument if all the devs were paid a salary.

In many instances the devs in question wouldn't have the motivation to work
on the maintenence release, in others the work is sponsored but is moving in
a direction that is fundamentally incompatible with the 8.x release.

I'm not trying to refute your input, just offering some insight about how it
may not be strictly accurate.

--
richo || Today's excuse:

Please excuse me, I have to circuit an AC line through my head to get
this database working.
http://blog.psych0tik.net

--EVF5PPMfhYS0aIcm

--EVF5PPMfhYS0aIcm--