Date:      Sat, 24 Jun 1995 17:58:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Network Coordinator <nc@ai.net>
To:        David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as a router

>    Last time I used pc-route, it crashed every 5-30 minutes. It's performance
> wasn't so hot, either. I haven't looked at it in a year or so, so perhaps the
> code has been improved. The main things that stick in my memory are that it was
> a black box, difficult to configure, impossible to troubleshoot, and had a
> broken RIP implementation.

I wasn't suggesting either using pc-route code or using pc-route as a
modern-day router [I don't even know if its being maintained]. I was just
curious how it would run on faster equipment for a theoretical max, all
the benchmarks I have seen on it talks about turning an 8088-0 into a
router, not a P90. I figured that pc-route whether reliable or not
addresses as many of the software issues in terms of overhead that can
be, cleanly. This is of course assuming that someone can get it to run
long enough to do a benchmark on it. :)

-Jerry.