Date:      Thu, 11 Sep 1997 10:06:41 +0200
From:      Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@giovannelli.it>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Important: -O flag crashes cc in libncurses

Hello to eveyone,
first of all this is my configuration : Mb Asus Tx97-e, Pentium 233, 64mb
(edo ram), 2 hd 4 giga wide scsi quantum, 2940uw,  a dec 21141 ethernet
card (I have read of possible conflict with ahc0 end ep0 , is it true ?) .

I have a problem since I installed 3.0. And after all cvsuped I did (the
last this morning...)
I always receive this error during a make world:

cc -O -I. -I/usr/src/lib/libncurses -Wall -DMYTINFO
-I/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/include -c /usr/src/lib/libncurses/lib_insch.c
-o lib_insch.o
cc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 10
*** Error code 1

And sometimes fatal signal 6.

Now I renamed lib_insch.o ad his include file and cvsuped again but the
files are identical.
So I try to study a remedy for the situation by myself and I discovered a
strange thing :

here are my steps :

gmarco:/usr/src/lib/libncurses#cc -c lib_insch.c -o lib_insch.o
gmarco:/usr/src/lib/libncurses#cc -O -c lib_insch.c -o lib_insch.o
cc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 10

gmarco:/usr/src/lib/libncurses#cc -O2 -c lib_insch.c -o lib_insch.o
gmarco:/usr/src/lib/libncurses#cc -O3 -c lib_insch.c -o lib_insch.o
gmarco:/usr/src/lib/libncurses#cc -O1 -c lib_insch.c -o lib_insch.o
cc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 6

gmarco:/usr/src/lib/libncurses#cc -O2 -I. -I/usr/src/lib/libncurses -Wall
-DMYTINFO -c usr/src/lib/libncurses/lib_insch.c -o lib_insch.o
gmarco:/usr/src/lib/libncurses#cc -O -I. -I/usr/src/lib/libncurses -Wall
-DMYTINFO -c /usr/src/lib/libncurses/lib_insch.c -o lib_insch.o
cc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 10
gmarco:/usr/src/lib/libncurses#

What do you think about ? It seems that -O and -O1 crash the compiler,
while -O2...3 doesn't ....
Now a few considerations...

I know just a little about -O, and I think it is the optimization level,
but I don't know really what the number are ...

Is possible to modify the Makefile to use -O2 for the libncurses instead of
-O ? It would important for me if I want to complete a make world.... :-)

Why it is happening ? :-)

Please for the hacker list : reply directly I am not subscribed to this
list...

Thanks again for everything...
Regards...
Gianmarco