Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 2002 18:07:47 -0800
From:      "pan" <pan@syix.com>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   4.5r -> 4.5s panic: breaks raid array

Abit KR7A-RAID
Athlon XP 1900+
1024 mgB
HPT372
Raid 0 with
2 x Maxtor 6L040J2 UDMA 133 hdd
{ar0: ad4/ad5}

Installed fBSD 4.5-release from CD - no problem
cvsup to 4.5-stable (March 22 2002) went well
through mergemaster but failed on subsequent reboot

couldn't capture boot messages as I got kernel
panics based on what 4.5 stable thought was a broken
raid array
could only get boot prompt , boot -s seemed to work,
but couldn't mount any filesystems
had to unload current kernel module,  load
kernel.old, set variables and then booted into
4.5 release; immediately changed flags on
/kernel mv'd /kernel.old to /kernel and
rebooted to a working 4.5 release box

I may have some of the above details incorrect as
I was anxious to get my machine working again so
I didn't take notes

from memory the boot failure for 4.5 stable was -
1. references to failure to write fsbn 2 on ar0
2. failures on ad4 with message
about removing ad4 from array
3. message about broken array
4. failures on ad5 - removing from array
5. message about broken array
6. then attempts to synch drives and fatal failure
"giving up on buffer 1"

was able to load kernel.old and now system boots
as a 4.5 release machine with a working raid array

It was nice seeing UDMA 133 flashing by when
4.5 stable was trying to boot - now back to 4.5
release with only UDMA 100

Will try to supply further data (if possible) should
anyone ask