Date:      Sun, 30 Jun 1996 19:26:30 -0400
From:      Rohit Dube <rohit@cs.UMD.EDU>
To:        "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Brandon Gillespie <brandon@tombstone.sunrem.com>, "Clay R. Smith" <claysmith@upstate.net>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dual-booting FreeBSD and Windows95???

On Sun, 30 Jun 1996 21:42:02 +0100 gpalmer@freebsd.org writes:
=>Brandon Gillespie wrote in message ID
=><Pine.BSF.3.91.960630141112.16500A-100000@tombstone.sunrem.com>:
=>> If the IBM PS/1 is a microchannel board you may have some serious
=>> problems getting FreeBSD working (last I checked Microchannel is not
=>> supported, has this changed?).
=>
=>It hasn't changed, no. I seem to remember several people offering to do
=>MCA support over the last 2 odd years, but nothing has ever come of
=>it. I would be very surpised if anything was done about MCA support
=>in the next year or so, as it isn't very common and is becoming less so.
=>
=>Gary

I was asking similar questions about FreeBSD on MCA machines a couple of
months ago. My take on the situation : a couple of guys in Australia and
Europe set out to get FreeBSD to run on MCA machines. Although they got
some stuff working, the port was never stabalized and released.

If you have a MCA machine and want to run UNIX, check out the Linux
MCA page : http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/~cpbeaure/mca-linux.html

Neverthless, the corollary from Gary's observation being, MCA is not
worth it.

--rohit.
(rohit@cs.umd.edu)