Date:      Tue, 03 Jul 2001 15:28:52 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        James Howard <howardjp@Glue.umd.edu>, Josef Grosch <jgrosch@mooseriver.com>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>, Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>, Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, Jonathan Slivko <js43064n@pace.edu>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD spokesman (was: So what happens to FreeBSD now?)

At 02:45 PM 7/3/2001, James Howard wrote:

>As boringly anti-GPL Mr. Glass is, this is not a "random" ideological
>test.  It is very important to the future of FreeBSD that its most visible
>participants be someone "opposed" to the "competition".

I agree. Any spokesman for FreeBSD should point out its licensing as
an advantage -- which it is, especially in the embedded arena.

If I were a spokesman (If I were, I'd be inclined to share the role with
one or preferably two other people rather than going it alone), I would
make sure that this was pointed out, but certainly wouldn't harp on that
one string all the time. There's a lot more about FreeBSD, and the BSDs
in general, that's worthwhile.

--Brett

P.S. -- I'm sorry if some of the things I write about the GPL seem "boring"
at times. I think this occurs because the GPL zealots tend to parrot the
writings and assertions from the FSF Web site endlessly, and those tired
assertions and arguments (which are designed to sound compelling but in fact
are fallacious and misleading) must be refuted for each new audience. If
you're probably saying, "Yawn.... I've heard this all before." I'm in the
process of working up some Web pages addressing those issues, so that they
can be answered with a URL rather than a lot of text.